Thousands of miles of snowmobile trails await you!
Want the recipe for one of the most exhilarating winter sports in New York State? Take plenty of snow, throw more than 8,000 miles of patrolled, groomed and marked snowmobile trails, and mix in picture perfect vistas. Add an almost unlimited number of places to explore, including more than 40 state parks, and you’ve got the ingredients for a great snowmobile adventure!
Across New York, from the legendary Catskill Mountains to the shores of Great Lake Erie, you’ll find wide-open trails, cool events and warm welcomes. Winter festivals and snowmobile races add to the fun.
The Adirondacks region boasts more than 800 miles of groomed trails throughout the vast and scenic Adirondack Park. In Old Forge, known as the Snowmobile Capital of the East for over 50 years, the snowmobile is king.
To the west, wild forested routes on the vast Tug Hill Plateau are covered with 200 to 300 inches of lake-effect snow every year. With over 500 miles of groomed trails, there’s plenty of room for adventure.
You’ll also find trails encircling lakes and meandering around gorges in the Finger Lakes; running south of Buffalo and into the heart of the state; and amid the tall timbers of Allegany State Park in the Chautauqua-Allegheny region, where there are over 90 miles of groomed trails waiting for you.
Check with the New York State Snowmobile Association for information on snowmobile clubs, events, trails, rider-friendly inns, and insider tips.
- Never drink and drive.
- Complete a recognized snowmobile safety course.
- Always wear appropriate attire and a helmet.
- Make sure to check your brakes, fuel and belt drive before going out.
- Avoid frozen or seemingly frozen waterways.
- Don’t speed.
- Bring along a survival kit.
- Respect people’s property; always get permission before riding on private land.
- Obey trespassing signs and stay on designated trails.
- Check with local officials before using public land.
- Share the trails and drive carefully when non-snowmobilers are out.
- Don’t litter.
You CAN do it all this winter - in New York State!
NYS Parks / NYS Snowmobile Trail System / NYS Snowmobile Association