Catskills Family Fun in the Summer
Resorts, Festivals, Music & More
The Catskills Are Filled With Family Fun, All Summer Long!
From horseback riding, exciting zip lines to an old-fashioned drive-in theater, petting zoos and a cooling water park, you'll find many ways to play in the Catskills.
Looking for fun events? Minnewaska State Park Preserve offers families “Backyard Birds for Children” (March 31). Have some fun in The Gunks! At the Wildcat Epic Bike Race (August 3-4), riders and spectators can enjoy the Shawangunk Mountains.
Relive the 1920s on July 4th at Hanford Mills Museum with frog jumping contests, fishing derby, sack races and more. Tour historic homes on Hurley Stone House Day (July 13) or enjoy children’s activities and fresh corn chowder at Hurley Corn Festival (August 17).
How about the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival (July 18-21), famous for its late night pickin’, presents national stars and regional favorites, all-ages classes and stages, and camping. East Durham Irish Festival (May 25-26), Catskills Irish Arts Week (July 15-20), and Riedlbauer’s Resort and Golf Driving Range are culture-rich destinations. Art Experience & Chalk Walk (May 25) showcases artists’ works and student sidewalk chalk drawings.
There's also Dwight Yoakam, Doobie Brothers, Manhattan Transfer – and that’s just July at Belleayre Music Festival. Bethel Woods Center for the Arts features Tim McGraw, American Boychoir, Dave Matthews Band, and special events. Mountain Jam (June 6-9) offers kids’ activities, camping, and a star-powered musical line-up. Chicken wing judging and eating contests, live bands, kids activities –- it’s Wing Fling (June 2)!
Deposit Lumberjack Festival (July 18-21) has music, fireworks, log rolling and speed saws! The Greene County Youth Fair (July 25-28) celebrates the county’s agricultural riches.
Try taking a hike, paddling a canoe or head to the Elm Ridge Bike Path for 20+ miles of mountain biking fun. At Kelder Farms, play Homegrown Mini-Golf, see that giant Gnome, and learn about food and farming. Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary’s weekend tours help breed kindness and respect for animals.
Music and desperadoes? Got ‘em both! “Twilight on the Rails Music Trains” and “Lighthearted Train Robberies” make summer special at Delaware & Ulster Railroad.
Vrrroom! Hudson Valley Cruise lists summertime classic car shows, cruise-in’s and rallies. Tour of the Catskills (August 2-4) unites cyclists for America’s largest pro/am stage race featuring the “Devil’s Kitchen Climb.” And Ed Wessels Memorial Canoe Regatta (May 11) puts the need for speed into the water.
Let your imagination race! At Tannersville Crazy Race & Festival (July 27), you’ll see wacky vehicles – even racing flower pots and picnic tables – and Cat’n Around Catskill features artists’ fiberglass cats (and dogs too) on the streets all summer.
Ashokan Center hosts a singing weekend, “Ashokan Harmony” (May 17-19), and The Phoenicia International Festival of the Voice (August 1-4) celebrates human voices with opera, gospel, world music and Broadway!
• 23rd Annual Ed Wessels Canoe Regatta, Sidney
• 37th Annual Deposit Lumberjack Festival, Deposit
• 4th Annual Wildcat Epic Bike Race, New Paltz
• 59th Annual Greene County Youth Fair, Cairo
• 6th Annual Tannersville Crazy Race & Festival
• 7th Annual Cat’n Around Catskill, Catskill
• 7th Annual Wing Fling 2013, Cantine Field, Saugerties
• 9th Annual Mountain Jam, Hunter Mountain
• Art Experience & Chalk Walk – Jeffersonville
• Ashokan Center, Olivebridge
• Belleayre Music Festival
• Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
• Catskills Attractions
• Catskills Irish Arts Week, East Durham
• Delaware & Ulster Railroad, Arkville
• East Durham Irish Festival
• Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival, Walsh Farm, Oak Hill
• Hanford Mills Museum, East Meredith
• Hudson Valley Cruise
• Hurley Corn Festival
• Hurley Stone House Day
• Kelder’s Farm, Homegrown Mini-Golf, Gnome
• Minnewaska State Park Preserve, Backyard Birds for Children
• Riedlbauer’s Resort and Golf Driving Range, Round Top
• Shawangunk Mountain Guide
• The Phoenicia International Festival of the Voice
• Tour of the Catskills Race, Hunter
• Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary
For more information, visit the Catskills region.